The Blog

Mar 20, 2009

Bluetooth Connectivity/Pairing Problems on Late 2008 MacBook Pro 

by Maxim Porges @ 11:42 PM | Link | Feedback (0)

I've noticed that my late 2008 MacBook Pro seems to have trouble pairing with my Apple Bluetooth keyboard and Mighty Mouse occasionally.

At home, I have a 22" flat panel connected with two video inputs: an HDMI input from my old QuickSilver G4 tower, and a DVI cable that I attach to either my work or personal laptops (the work laptop is an early 2008 MacBook Pro, while the personal one is a late 2008). As I switch between laptops, I get semi-wireless KVM since the Bluetooth simply re-pairs with whichever laptop is turned on, and I manually re-plug the DVI cable.

I never seem to have issues reconnecting the work laptop, but my personal one has been having issues recently. Anecdotally, this started happening after I installed Vista on Boot Camp, during which time I had a hell of a time getting Vista to connect to the Bluetooth devices (it would say it was paired but then never be able to connect). After uninstalling/reinstalling the Boot Camp drivers that came on the installation disk for my MacBook Pro, the Bluetooth on Vista started working again. I don't know if the Vista issues spawned the issues in OS X, but there it is as the only thing related to Bluetooth that has changed.

Anyway... I noticed I was getting these messages in Console.
3/20/09 10:42:25 PM Bluetooth Setup Assistant[1753] connection went invalid while waiting for a reply 
3/20/09 10:44:31 PM Bluetooth Setup Assistant[1771] 3:Pairing failed with 'Mighty Mouse': error 0xe00002bc
3/20/09 10:45:54 PM Bluetooth Setup Assistant[1771] 3:Pairing failed with 'Mighty Mouse': error 0xe00002bc
3/20/09 10:51:04 PM kernel IOBluetoothBNEPDriver: Ethernet address 00:23:6c:a2:5e:56

I went ahead and reset the PRAM and everything started working again - in fact, the laptop paired to the devices before the login screen loaded, and I was able to type in my password from my Bluetooth keyboard. Woot.

This is the second time I have had to reset the PRAM on my personal laptop since I got it in December 2008, the last issue being related toExpressCard hardware. I'm hoping the issue was just related to me Boot Camp Bluetooth woes, but who knows.