The Blog

Jan 10, 2009

Blu(-Ray) Completes Me 

by Maxim Porges @ 1:09 AM | Link | Feedback (0)

I picked up a copy of "The Dark Knight" on Blu-Ray tonight and Jessica and I watched it on our new PS3. The quality of 1080p is really pretty stunning, especially for a movie like this that was so lovingly shot in IMAX. Anecdotally, if you decide to pick up "The Dark Knight", be sure to get the special edition since the behind the scenes stuff is plentiful and top-notch - they have a great story in there about how they wrecked a $300,000 IMAX camera (one of only four in the world) during the filming of one of the chase scenes.

I must say that Blu-Ray is a tremendous improvement over DVD. The interactivity of the menus for the special features really lets you feel like you are getting "in" to the movie as you dabble around behind the scenes, and having interviews in 1080p gives you clarity that makes it like you're sitting in the room with the guys being interviewed.

The only downside of all this extra visual quality is that I now want a Tumbler more than ever... I guess I'll have to settle for the remote-controlled version until I make enough money to commission my own full-size model.