The Blog

Jun 4, 2007

JRuby 1.0.0RC3 Out 

by Maxim Porges @ 10:31 PM | Link | Feedback (2)

I wish I had time to play with this.

I'm really excited about JRuby. What could be sexier than taking the compiled, library-laden world of Java and combining it with the balls-to-the-walls terseness of Ruby and RoR? It's like getting everything you want for Christmas, and then having the Publisher's Clearing House guys show up and give you the winning check to boot.

I'd say 1.0 is still too early for prime time in a commercial setting like ours at CFI. I'd speak differently if I were a startup rolling my own app, though. That being said, we jumped on the Flex train back in the 1.5 days, and I'm all about fast moving technologies with loads of community interest and support.

If we can leverage even 1/10th of the productivity improvements you can get from RoR, with our Java back ends performing integration, and a Flex front end for the user, I'd be happy to bet the farm on JRuby in the near term.