The Blog

May 26, 2007

Joe Berkovitz and MVCS 

by Maxim Porges @ 5:05 PM | Link | Feedback (0)

After writing my prior diatribe on Flex frameworks, I was reminded of Joe Berkovitz's MVCS, or Model-View-Controller-Service architecture.

Joe wrote an article on this approach to Flex development last year (funnily enough, on my birthday) which I personally feel is one of the "better" approaches I have seen so far in terms of how lightweight it is. Since Joe's code is entirely framework-free, I did feel that perhaps there was some room for taking his concepts and making some framework utility components from them. I also have mixed feelings about multiple controllers as opposed to one monolithic front controller, which both Joe's sample approach and Cairngorm seem to favor; again, with great respect to the people who wrote code for both approaches, this is probably just a result of my naivety with Flex development.

In any event, more food for thought, and some additional interesting ideas for me to play with.