The Blog

Jun 29, 2005

And So It Begins Again 

by Maxim Porges @ 10:20 PM | Link | Feedback (5)

What better occasion could there be to restart my blog?

I was thrilled to receive an invitation to present at the CFUNITED 2005 conference (many thanks to Michael Smith at TeraTech for the invitation). Michael was kind enough to bring me back to present once again on Strategies for Successful Development with the Fusebox Lifecycle Process (FLiP). I presented on the same topic at the 2004 Fusebox Conference last September.

Based upon the feedback I received last year, my repeat appearance at this event, and the conversations I had with folks today, I can clearly state that there continues to be a need in the development community for a solid SDLC that guides developers through the requirements gathering, architecture, and implementation process. FLiP is definitely the SDLC to fulfill that goal.

I've been on "blog hiatus" for well over a year - the result of time constraints from regular work, contract work, and life in general. But now, having spent the day meeting and greeting with a wide range of developers (from beginners to old hands), I've heard common threads among the conversations - difficult problems being expressed in the community. I'm eager to share my solutions and suggestions, using this blog as my forum.

Besides my ongoing commitment to assisting my peers with correctly and successfully implementing the Fusebox Lifecycle Process (FLiP), and my continuing role as User Community Advocate for Adalon Application Design Studio, there's a ton of experience I'm looking to share regarding my team's transition from CFCs to Java and J2EE (while still reaping the benefits of ColdFusion on the front end).

Other items I found myself repeatedly sharing with developers throughout the day were techniques to build a layered architecture using OO, regardless of the actual technology implementation. Most people have a hard time with OO, and it was thrilling to see my simple examples permeate years of OO confusion, and to witness previously procedural developers "get it" right in front of my eyes.

To that end, I'll be posting white papers on this blog in short order on a variety of topics. Each white paper will be part of a series of articles which, when read end-to-end, will provide a track that a developer can follow to successfully reach a desired goal - such as truly understanding layers, getting a grasp on OO for the first time, or whatever else is requested.

From my audience, I'll only ask one thing in return: post your questions and your requests. This may be my blog, but I want you as the reader to consider it your own personal Help Desk. If you've got a question, ask. If you've got a subject you want "white papered", request it. There will always be a feedback link on each of my blog posts, and it's there for you to click.

I'm here, I'm listening - and I'm ready to blog.